A course was established in Victoria Park, Sydney in 1895. In 1909 it relocated to a new site at Lingan Bay and was incorporated on March 31st, 1911. By 1912 they were forced to again relocate and in 1913 moved their clubhouse and constructed a new course at McLean's Crossing, the present location of the Lingan Golf Club on the highway between Sydney and Glace Bay.
Lingan Club House 1935
Malcolm Martin, a native of Dominion, NS, won the Maritime Amateur Golf Championship in 1914 and designed the nine-hole Sydney (Lingan) course as well as golf courses at Pictou, Abercrombie, Baddeck, and Dominion.
In 1922, the famed Stanley Thompson made a side trip to Sydney to help redesign the Lingan course, one of eleven courses he worked on that year.
The development of the second nine holes began in 1964 with C.E. (Robbie) Robinson as the architect.